2011 Porsche 911 GT3 Review
You can find a hundred car reviews on the internet about the 2011 Porsche Carrera 911 GT3 or for any other car for that matter. But reviews will be different. I’m not going to recite endless technical facts about brake horsepower or how many seconds to get from 0-60mph. The car that I’m reviewing below is my car, or was my car, until I sold it to a neighbor who then became a good friend of mine!
Now to my middle age man review of this beast:
Let’s start with some of the cons:
1. Space: The car appears to have a back seat area, but only enough to throw a backpack and a brief case. And if your over 6 feet tall, sitting in this car will feel more like being in a sardine can than a race car.
2. Cost of Maintenance: Soon after I sold the car, my new buddy told me that one of the wheels picked up a nail and had to be replaced at a cost of about $500.
3. Ground Clearance: Make no mistake this car is a race car and is often taken to the track, even by weekend warriors, for just that purpose. My version of the car did not come with the front end lift that increases the front spoiler’s clearance with the ground when going over speed bumps, or even just tyring to pull in and out of your driveway. I had to approach both obstacles at almost a dead stop and at a 45 degree angle or risk scratching the front end of the car.
4. Gear Shifting: I’m not the world’s strongest man by any means, but I get to the gym once in a while to lift weights and I also compete in Men’s Physique events. The first week that I drove this car, my elbow hurt from how hard it was to shift from gear to gear. I asked Porsche about this and they told me that this was an intentional design in order to make the gear box so tough for a race track that it wouldn’t break down in a race. The newest version of the car now comes with electronic shifters, which eliminates that issue, but the GT3 purists don’t like it.
Now for a few of the Pros:
1 Looks. Let’s be honest, if you like this car then you like hot. And as far I’m concerned, the Carrera GT3 is the hottest looking car that Porsche has ever made, with the two exceptions of the Porsche GT and the Porsche 918 Spyder.
2. Sound. One of the irritations that I have with Porsche is that they intentionally give some of their cars more of a visceral sound than others. I also drive a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. It is the top of the line for their SUV models, but it doesn’t make any noise? And then you pull up next to a Porsche GTS and the thing sounds like it has a rocket under the hood? Maybe it’s just me, but a race car should not only drive like one, but also sound like one, too! And you’ll get all the sound you ever wanted when you step on the GT3’s gas pedal.
3. I already made the disclaimer that I wasn’t going to get into the technical details, but we cant ignore the subject of speed. Let me start and stop this comment with four words: fast, fast, really fast!
4. Excitement. Regardless of whether you would ever plan to take this car out on to an open track, the moment that you sit way down low into the driver’s seat, and turn on the engine even to just listen to sound of the car at idle, you will FEEL like you are a race car driver! It was a bittersweet moment for me when I sold this car. On a scale of 1-10 on the fun meter, this car is an 11.
You Might Also Like
Your career is one of the ways you... Read more